Staying at the hotel and not interested in driving to/from the ceremony/reception? The shuttle from the hotel is leaving at 4:30 to go to the Mary Gay House and will make multiple trips, as necessary. The shuttle will return to the MGH at 10pm, and will, again, make trips as necessary.
A tip! 5 February 2009
Lynda shared a tip in the comments, and I thought it was so awesome that it needed more attention, if you’re looking at hotel reservations:
This is how you can make a secure reservation without having to make a phone call.
Click on the link and put in your information just as if you were booking online.
When the rates come up, on the left side there is a link to talk to an agent using secure chat. Have your credit card handy and the name Bowers-Schoen, then click on the link.
Someone will take your reservation online, then give you your confirmation number and also email your printable confirmation. My someone was Julius.
The rest of the checkmark 4 November 2008
We turned in our hotel agreement, so that’s taken care of! The Bowers-Schoen hotel block at the Holiday Inn-Decatur is open!
Half a checkmark 27 October 2008
Since I had a meeting today in the building next door, I stopped at the Holiday Inn, the closest (and only) hotel in downtown Decatur proper and got the process started for reserving a block of rooms! The Sales Manager, Connie, was very friendly and helpful and pointed out many of the great things about this particular hotel, including a free shuttle within 5 miles of the hotel. (Mary Gay House is 0.5 miles away.) She also showed me the pool, fitness room, and we looked at a king-bed room, which was nicely-sized. She also mentioned that the hotel would undergo some minor rennovations at the end of this year.
Some benefits to this hotel (besides the shuttle, so nobody staying there has to drive either direction to the MGH):
- Zip Car station just outside the door
- Next to an Emory Healthcare Clinic
- Almost across the street from Crescent Moon (an awesome breakfast place. The in-hotel buffet breakfast is not included with the room, but you can get a coffee and a The Heap [eggs, potatoes, bacon and cheese in a skillet], arguably one of the best hangover breakfasts evar, for less at Crescent Moon. Half a The Heap is more than enough for me, and enough for Jeremy.)
- Has a bar in-hotel that opens at 5pm
- Pool! Not only does the hotel have its own pool, but a Decatur City pool is between the hotel and MGH.
- On the same block as several restaurants, like Ted’s Montana Grill
- That 5-mile shuttle will get you to a bunch of places, like Fernbank Museum!
So, once the contract stuff is signed and faxed (really, mostly, confirmation of dates and names), the Bowers-Schoen block will be available!